Thursday, August 10, 2017

Across the Rez Line

Across the rez line…

I was just a rez joe…just to live my life on my own land..
But wanting that life the sits just right there
Across the rez line…

The wind is blowing..it always blows out here
I was the first born the son of my father
From that place just over there…a place with no name
I wanted to cross that line and go over there

But wondering how it will be for me…can I find what I am looking for there…
I can hear the howl of the wind…somehow the look of it is just plain
But I can’t get there from here…they don’t like me there and I have done nothing to them
I have done nothing to them and they look at me like I don’t belong…

What they have is not mine….you can’t have what we have…
You need credit…money and…you have to fit in and you my friend…just don’t
All I want is a taste of the life…here on the rez…to have it at home…

There is a wall there…you can’t see it…but it is there…no bricks…no fences…
It has always been there and you can walk through it but to stay out there you have to leave
All you know and love behind….your home is no longer your own…you have to leave it…
I just want to look around but they don’t want me there…they don’t have to say it…

They way they look says it all…I am wondering why in all these years are there none o f those
Who look like me living there…running a place…have a small business…enjoying life there…

You can come here but you can’t have what we have…their voices say…stay across that line…
Stay on the rez…you are fine over there…we can come and look at you…and I can see that wall
Across that rez line….just another rez skin looking for a better life..having to choose where to live…
And now I am an old man and still I can see that life across the line…does not include my or my own
They say it is here if you will leave that place behind…that place with no name…across the rez line…rustywire

No comments:

Post a Comment