Wednesday, December 23, 2009

First Thunder

I await the first sound of thunder
the long passing of winter
if is far off, my land
Land of the Navajo, Dinetah

Standing here in the early light of day
I can see the clear blue sky
I look toward my homeland
so so far away
Wind take me to the mountain
to a place of high mountain streams
I hear the song of bluejays and robins
they sing in thw rustle of the trees
in the midst of the place I call home


I can see them standing there those two friends of mine
standing in the forests, mesas and dusty roads there
Those two Twin Heroes, from the Navajo Way, they call me
like an old song, the words quietly come, you are a child
you are a child of our grandmothers
you have survived so that we may live


renew me as a small child
on green grass in a high mountain meadow
let me hear the song my mother
she sang walk this way my child
go in beauty and let it find a way before you


Come back to us, walk in these places we have known
we fought many creatures and saved a place for you
there is an eight sided hogan, a home waiting for you
go with beauty and find your song to sing
Child Born for Water and Monster Slayer whisper in the wind
We wait for you my brother
come home to us and hear the first thunder


it is time for coyotes and winter to go their way far from here
We come to bring hard and soft rain to this land of the navajo
you are our brother, you must come they say
I can see them far off and know they wait in the mountains of home
take me away and let me find a place in the songs of my fathers
and let me dance in these places, the home of my mother
let me drink from waters they have tasted
take me there I say and they look at me from far off


Child born for Water with gentleness says come my brother
Monster Slayer stands proudly and motions, come here
You are our brother and this place
calls your name, it is not complete unless you come
I see them there patiently waiting and beckoning me
come home


yo, they say, listen
it is near a time for new life and long summer days
it is time for a life here in your own home
come my brother, share a place with us and listen
far off it is but yet it is near, any time now they say


First thunder, the sound I remember, they wait and say
Come sit with us and share the sound ending the cold cold winter
life begins a new with First Thunder, come my brother, they say
I stand here and looking toward home
I am far away but I can see all this from here
rustywire
--

No comments:

Post a Comment