Thursday, April 24, 2014

Saturday Morning

It is Saturday morning and I've been listening to the oldies on the radio, some good ones on today... been thinking about things...wondering what the world is like out there today... how would it be to walk along the ocean at sunrise... to eat breakfast at a greasy spoon along the interstate somewhere in Oklahoma... to be sitting in Toadlena on the Navajo Rez, my home and feel the dew drops on the cedar... the early morning smells of a new day, to hear the blue birds sing and look across the horizon, clear blue skies with just hint of a cloud. Listening to the sound of someone far off chopping wood smelling the smoke of a breakfast fire of cedar and juniper... tanding there with a cup of coffee mixed with a little cream and sugar to turn and see my father standing down by the corral to hear the sound of my grandmother laughing to hear the philco radio tell a story about how three lost sheep were found wandering around Farmington, and the police spent two hours trying to chase them down... Shimasani-my grandmother used to say, why do those people iust grow hay? that grass...just to cut and throw it away... Yahdahlah, she would say... in the distance I can hear the children laughing as they stand by the wash watching small twigs float down the stream. My mother would be coming in and telling me to check the truck, it is town day and we have to head to Gallup... a chance to maybe go to a movie, to walk around and see what is new... maybe to eat some Kentucky Fried Chicken or just to see what is on the road today... and in a blink of an eye it is all gone I am far away from there... where was I...ah yes standing outside in the early morning light... feeling a light breeze and thinking of a time long ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment