Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Broken Reservation Road

Broken Reservation Road...by Johnny Rustywire

Broken road where will you lead me
In all the places I have gone
I have known you would be there
I find the ruts, mud holes and rocks on my way
In places of slippery shale, steep hillsides I go
In narrow places and washes I go
across dry barren lands, over hills and flat places
I walk this alone
no one can see me my hardship I say
I travel this way alone
with myself I go


Broken road
dry road
dust and sand blow
parched
cracked
with wind I go
dust covers every part of me
you say why go this way
kicking up dust for me to taste
I wear a coat of fine sand
up and down
side to side
it is my life
hither I go, why is it so
I don't know
I must cross
windy mesas
bad lands
Rain falling
puddles trickle
streams run
stepping in them
I go on
dust becomes
sticky
thick
clinging to me
dampness and cold
come with the wind
hither I go
on and on
I go my mind says take this away from me
my heart says go
go on do anything and everything
to make it so


Lovely light
morning light
rise quickly
warm me
take this mud away


it is for me I say
make my journey pleasant
give me warmth
comfort
a place in the sun
my burden is heavy
take me home
make it so
take this hard life away
this place, this crazy place
why am I here
I cry out why
my body is cold


where is the end
this road sliding
slipping
I go on
still it is hard
food
wood
water
medicine
hay
these things I carry
make my journey short
take me swiftly
it is there
I see it
home
such a place
give me shelter
give me warmth
it is finished
it is finished
home
blessed home
place of my own
my family
all this in my own land

rustywire

No comments:

Post a Comment