Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Navajos looking for a home..

Navajos Looking for a Home
by Johnny Rustywire
Where are you, my friends?
Scattered about like lost sheep,
wandering,
looking towards home.
Where is the gathering place
where we talked,
where we shared a common voice?
It needs to be found —
that spring of cool water,
where there is shade
and a little grass
where we can lay down and rest a while.
Where are the Twin Heroes,
Changing Woman,
the Holy Beings?
They seek all their relations.
Where have you gone?

Yasho ...
It is said from far off,
"There might be a spot
at Navajo2000.com,
a ways off toward Totah,
just East of Nataani Nez.
I will saddle my old horse
and take a bedroll.
I will travel across these dusty plains of life.
I long to taste cool water;
I long to taste songs in my own tongue.
Oh, brothers and sisters,
where have you gone?
Let us meet at the place where the rivers come together,
over by Totah,
and sing and dance;
talking, laughing, and being as one people.

I look for the road to take me there,
so I can go there on the morrow.

Where is Jody, Chimera, Aaron, Descheenie, Barehand?
Where is Annoying Leroy, Aasdzaa, Benally, and so many others?
I find myself on a flat plain
with no water and poor food.
There is no comfort here.

Friends, brothers and sisters,
if you should see a place to rest,
let me know.
I will leave for it on the morrow.
Meet me there,
and we will find refreshment.

rustywire

No comments:

Post a Comment