Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Even Now You Come To Me Still..

Even Now You Come to Me Still
by Johnny Rustywire
There was someone special once,
a slim Navajo girl from long ago,
and this is for her:
a day too late
and years too late....

I can see your red sash belt with silver conchos,
the red velveteen of your dress with shiny buttons,
the knee high buckskin moccasins.
You hold your head high,
gentleness and quiet strength in your walk,
a slim Navajo girl
in that place with windy mesas and sand washes.
I walked with you a short while.
I remember.

When I think on you,
soft winds and cool breezes come to mind,
and I see that time has not erased your soft cheek against mine
or the smell of sage in your hair.
Where ever you are and wherever you have gone,
I am still there with you
in the dusty and windblown time we shared together long ago.

When you see the stars,
do you see the one I gave you long ago
when I promised to dance with you on the moon till dawn?
In the quiet moments when you are alone,
and thinking about nothing,
do I come to you every now and again?

Even though many winters have come and gone,
I still see you.
I still hear your words in the wind.

rustywire

No comments:

Post a Comment