Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Speaking in Tongues

Speaking In Tongues
by Johnny Rustywire


He came from Holland
Fair, tall; and when he spoke
It was hard to make out
What did he say
He don't talk English good
Came to the rez to save souls
To a small white church
Just over there
On the side of the hill
How do you talk Navajo
He would say
Teach me so I can learn
He spoke a few words
He came to the trading post
Stood around the old folks
Who looked at him
They watched him and that's all
There he found Silas
Wild he was some say
For him Sin was the spice of life
I will teach you Navajo-Dineh
The tall white man stood there
Yes, just a few words
How do you say it
Say it slowly so I will know
A gleam in his eye thinking about Sunday
To preach and say a few words
Tell me Silas how do you say it
They sat for a while on the steps
His first lesson on Navajo
It was a simple request
Silas spoke to him, quietly
Lest the people laugh
About Silas sitting there
Talking about preaching
Sunday morning came
The missionary from Holland
Stood up and prayed
Lifting his voice so that all could hear
Let's praise the Lord
Oh. Lord, Praise the Lord
They sat there those old weather beaten men
Old Women with scarves covering their heads
Husband wives and their kids too
They heard it in Navajo
The preacher stood tall
He said it again and again
Lord Praise the Lord
Everyone stood up and looked at him
He got carried away said it again and again
It was his first time and he was proud
Telling them in their own words
He said it well
When the services were done
The preacher man from Holland
Stood at the door as they went out
No one said anything to him
Old Man Natani sat in a chair
The only one left
The Dutchman went to him
The old man sat there
Where did you learn to talk Navajo
Who taught you to say it
With a gleam in his blue eyes
He said Silas taught me
Did I say it right
Lord, Praise the Lord
Oh Lord Praise the Lord
Old man Natani looked him in the eye
And said quietly
Silas didn't teach you right
That one boy is too much
A look of dismay
Came to the Dutchmans blue eyes
What did I say
While standing up there
Whillah Hay, Whillah Hay,
Lord, Lord I thought I said
The old man spoke
Whillah Hay means
I don't know, I don't know
You stood up there and shouted out
When it came time to pray
You said as plain as day
You shouted out
I don't know, I don't know
Over and over again
Whillah Hay means I don't know

No comments:

Post a Comment