Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Homecoming Dance

Remember Homecoming Dance, we were so young and carefree I had no
vehicle to go, we lived so many miles away from school taking the bus
early in the morning, up at six and home by six thirty. There was no
hamburger joint only the trading post, and no way to go.

I know you my young lady wanted to dance the night away, I could see
it in your eyes. What do you do when you live so far from town. I know
you want to go, you can hear the music and laughter far away.


Oh, Hi. I came here tonight to see you. Will you walk with me, didn't
I tell you, I have nothing really to offer you, but look here is my
transistor radio.


Come with me my young maiden, up on the mesa we go, slowly walking,
quietly under the night sky, oh how the stars shine... Oh, didn't you
know, I found KOMA, the radio station far away.


Look there is flat place there. Take my hand, will you dance with me.
Look it's easy, stand close to me. The floor is crowded don't you see,
all the animals are watching.


Dance with me, yes I am silly, but try this with me....I offer you the
moon and those juniper trees just over there. I don't know why juniper
trees they are just there for the taking, so I give them to you, your
brothers can chop them. down..just kidding.


This rock is a cool place to sit and a dance floor of sand, it isn't
much. Thank you...no car, no money, no fancy clothes, no place to eat,
but I remember this night we shared a can of Pepsi, two spam
sandwiches.


We stood under the night sky and we danced to music from Oklahoma, far
away, on a dirt floor and held each other close and it was our
homecoming dance.


It was a simple affair for two rez kids, I remember the place well
because you danced that night with me .......South of Shiprock on the
Navajo rez on a nite some time ago. rustywire

No comments:

Post a Comment