Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Where Did You Go Navajo Girl

Where Did You Go, Navajo Girl
by John Rustywire
Thinking about Navajo Girl
way down south in Navajoland:

She had long black hair
and eyes of the softest brown.
When she laughed
the wind would sing;
and we would run together,
arms outstretched,
through the sagebrush,
feeling it with our fingertips.

We carved our names on the big red rocks
and in the sand down by the wash.

We would walk and talk
going to the trading post
to check the mail.
Everyone would look at us,
and we would laugh and wave.

We sat on old school bus stop
and listened to the swaying song
of the squaw dance
down by your home,
watching the sun set
and the stars dance across the sky
till Dawn Boy found us still there.

You gave me a star that night.
I see it still in the night sky,
forever ours.

I left to go to school,
never to see you anymore.
You went another ways.
I hear you belong to another.

I close my eyes
and see the curve of your cheek,
the smile on your face,
your long black hair blowing in the wind.

Oh, the look in your eyes.

We were one
and no one could touch us.

I can still see Navajo girl
with smiling eyes
way down south in Navajoland.

Where did you go........

rustywire

No comments:

Post a Comment