Tuesday, January 5, 2010

La La La Loving You

La La La Loving You
by Johnny Rustywire

I can hear the music now as the song starts. I think we all know that certain songs when we hear them take us back through time as it were to a better place. A time of innocence, yearning and love, all in a moment once you hear it...

The strings of a violen start slowly and I hear the words..."Guys come
to you with lines that aren't true and you pass them by..."

I am standing in our old wooden house just finishing washing my face and hands from the wash basin, and my hair is combed. I favored wearing a simple shirts and clean blue levis. A mirror hanging up on the wall above the wash basin brought out the best in me. I remember thinking I looked pretty good for a rez boy from this out of the way place, Toadlena. KWYK radio out of Farmington was playing on the transistor radio...

"I don't wear a diamond ring...I don't even know a song to sing...."

I was in our old house,I closed my eyes and danced slowly around the wooden floor and I was out past the screen door. The old sheep dog laying there by the door watched me cooly as I danced across the yard and easily jumped the fence and headed through the juniper trees.

"let me try, I don't even wear a diamond ring...la,la, la, loving
you...."

She was back from the Mormon placement program, she looked polished, a long black haired beauty who got off the bus from Brigham City, she lived down the road....she was fair and she struck me when I first saw her...so she is from here...mmmm, time to get to know this one....what was her name...

"listen to me....la la la la loving you....come on and take my hand...."

We got to know each other from checking the mail, she walked up there to the trading post for her parents and I just happened to be standing there each time she came up. We started to talk. She was here just for the summer and I was a plain rez boy, but this was my time and my place. I had helped her family with hauling hay and water, and her mother invited me to eat with them.

"You will see the things I said are true....the way I am say them to you...listen to me...la..la..la..la..la..loving you"

Their place was simple, but we area all like that, some had no electricity or running water...we were country bumpkins...and I knew her family. Some would call this place poor, but we were all that way there. I had nothing to offer but myself and it was good enough.

I knew where she came from and though I was not like the white boys she had known from Utah....she was a Navajo Girl...she gave me life and brought some things I had never known to this out of the way place.

Her roots were from this land, this home, the hogan, and sagebrush and though she tried to forget it, in time these things returned and she
was mine...

"All I know these things are true....I love you...I never saw a girl I
needed in this world...you are the one for me, let me hold you in my arms.."

This was the time when we had walked to distant mesas, watched the stars go by and saw the new dawn. We stood next to each other, and with a shy look, she came close to me...there was an aura about her, and I was a part of it...we stood there on a dusty plain, in sand, with sagebrush moving softly in the breeze and danced to this song...there was nothing like it...she was my everything....taking my breath and life and my heart forever, so it is with such things...

The song ends and I am back driving down the highway, my mirror shows my face a little older and far from that time and place. It was a short journey, a sense of life and feelings remembered for a time and so I go on down the road....wishing her well where ever she maybe...

rustywire

No comments:

Post a Comment