Monday, January 4, 2010

snow, wind and going home

It was years ago now when I was going home from college. Like most Indians my family lived way off the beaten path, no car or phone. I caught the bus home but due to a snow storm the bus missed a connection because we were
late. I ended up hitchiking to Shiprock, New Mexico it was blowing and
cold. I went to a small store there called Bonds & Bonds which was a
bus stop and eating place.

It was toward evening and since I couldn't find a ride I started
walking. You know the area, barren landscape, high rock formations and
a lonely road, no one coming or going. I started to walk. It seemed I
walked forever, the wind was blowing, it was cold and there was sleet
beginning to fall, I walked about 12 miles South to a place called
Table Mesa. It was getting past 10 or so. The wind was picking up, a
slow cold wind and sleet, the kind that clings to you was falling. I
was thinking I would probably end up walking all night. It was the kind
of storm where you keep moving all night long, you could not stop but
had to go on til morning. There wasn't a good place to lay down and
take cover.


I was walking and heard the whine of a small motorcycle coming from
behind me, it went by me and went on. On it was an old Navajo man on
his way to check his sheep. I could hear the sound coming back and it
slowed and stopped by me. The old man said get on and I rode back down
the road from where I had come. We rode and I could see us drive up to
a simple two room house lighted by kerosene lamp and wood stove. It was
a small place, not much really. He spoke to his wife and bid me to come
in. His wife fixed me a warm meal and a bed roll. I ate and layed down
and was out like a light. I slept well that night.


In the morning they fed me and he took me up the road to where he
picked me up. It was light and the storm had passed, the ground was
covered with snow. I caught a ride and got home for the holidays. He
didn't tell me his name.


A few years later I went back looking for him and his wife, the small
shacks that were in the area were all torn down. I'll never forget him,
that they didn't have much, but what they had was more than what I
needed that night long ago. He saw a young man, cold and wet and took
him in. I remember this kindness given to a stranger on a cold wet
night. Sometimes we think we don't have the ability to help someone,
but then really we have enough if we want to and it maybe more than
someone needs. It could be a kind word, a ride, a visit or a warm
place, a meal and a place to sleep. Now I try to keep him in mind as
the holidays approach each year and wish him well for his kindness has
stayed with me all these years and I try to remember this during the
winter.

rustywire

No comments:

Post a Comment